Welfare and Security Committee
3:00PM, Van Leer Room W225
WSC Members Present: Gail Palmer (ECE), Jane Weyant, (COE), Frank Lambert (ECE), Chair, and Carole Moore (Provost), Ryan McFerrin (Student), Tom Akins (DOPP) Ex-officio
Guests: Teresa Crocker (Security and Police); Diane Merritt (Security and Police), Andrea Goldblum (Dean of Students) and Karen Boyd (Dean of Students)
1. The minutes of our September 27, 2004 meeting were approved as amended with a clarification on the replacement of Tom Akins on the Parking and Transportation Advisory Committee.
2. Harassment of Faculty by Students – Andrea Goldblum and Karen Boyd discussed proposed changes to the Student Code of Conduct to address this issue. The Dean of Students is recommending the following new rule: “Rule 21. Harassing another person. This includes, but is not limited to, placing another person in reasonable fear of his or her personal safety through words or actions directed at that person or substantially interfering with the working, learning, or living environment of the person.” After discussion, the Welfare & Security Committee unanimously agreed to support this recommendation. Welfare and Security Committee members were also invited to participate in the Victim Advocacy Task Force.
3. Motorized Carts on Campus –Diane Merritt provided copies of the proposed policy on low-speed vehicles and a draft of “The Campus Guide to: Bikes, Rollerblades, Skates, Skateboards, and Scooters” for our review and comments. The proposed policy will be presented to Bob Thompson for adoption. The Welfare & Security Committee unanimously agreed to support these recommendations.
4. Tornado Warning Sirens – Chief Crocker reported that the tornado warning siren system provided by the City of Atlanta had been removed. They are investigating a new system with the capability of broadcasting audible warning messages campus wide or targeted to specific buildings / areas.
5. Student Center Parking Deck Lighting – Bob Furniss was not able to attend our meeting. He did indicate by e-mail that there is a problem with the original installation of the new lights and control panels in the W02 deck resulting in an outage of many light fixtures. They are working very diligently to correct this issue as soon as possible.
6. Automatic External Defibrillators – Questions were raised concerning availability of automatic external defibrillators on campus. This item will be placed on the agenda for our next meeting.
7. Our next meeting will be scheduled for early December.