Academic Services Committee
August 31, 2004
Members Present: Carol Colatrella (LCC), Jeffrey Donnell (ME), Tom Horton (GTRI), Maureen Kilroy (GS&R), Myrtle Turner (GTRI) Jane Weyant (CoE).
Members Absent: Joseph Hoey (OARS), Jim Sowell (PHYS).
Visitor: Lynn Fountain, Outgoing Chair of the Academic Services Committee
1. Lynn Fountain called the meeting to order at 11:05 a.m. on August 31, 2004.
2. It was noted that two positions on the committee are open, and that these positions will be filled shortly by action of the Secretary of the Faculty.
3. Myrtle Turner and Jim Sowell were nominated as Co-Chairs of the committee for the coming year, and were elected on a voice vote.
4. Jeffrey Donnell was elected to the position of Secretary of the committee for the coming year.
5. Committee members discussed the issues that the Committee might pursue during the coming year and the speakers who might be invited. Among the areas of interest are these:
· Space, which might include the quality of classroom space, the scheduling of classrooms and the availability of space for faculty and student offices.
· The Bookstore, and the Shuttle transportation system.
· Computing / network issues
· Intellectual property
· The direction of growth at the Institute, particularly increases in graduate and undergraduate enrollment.
6. The next meeting of the Academic Services Committee will take place on October 7, 2004 at 1:00 p.m.
7. The meeting was adjourned at 12:05 p.m.
Jeffrey Donnell, Secretary