MINUTES OF THE
GRADUATE CURRICULUM COMMITTEE MEETING
July 28, 2005
PRESENT: Green (Math), Pikowsky (REG), Parsons (MGT), Craig (AE),
Murray (LCC), Bidstrup Allen (CHE)
VISITORS: Hughes (ECE), Whiteman (ME), Potts (Graduate Studies), Kilroy
A motion was made to approve the minutes of the June 30, 2005 meeting.
The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
3. Student appeals (2 total)
The first appeal was presented by the student himself. A motion to decline the appeal was made. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous. Stipulations to Architecture: the Committee would entertain a late grade change in this case unless Architecture can identify another option (waiving the course, having him sign up for a special problems course with that topic, etc.). The Committee would entertain the late withdrawal option as well, depending upon the outcome of further deliberations in Architecture.
The second appeal was presented on behalf of the student by ME. A motion to decline the appeal was made. The motion was seconded, and approved. Unanimous. ME will solve the problem by allowing a substitution of the course in question for 3 credits of thesis which they require in addition to the Institute’s 6 credits.
4. Student Petitions (4 total). A motion to approve the three petitions from ME regarding usage of more than the allowed 12 credits of graduate coursework while in undergraduate standing toward the MSME degree was made. The motion was seconded, and approved. Unanimous. Stipulations: No more than six credits can double count, the courses in question will be completed by the end of Summer 2005, and ME will monitor its new procedure to avoid any further confusion. A motion was made, seconded and approved to table the petition from a student to withdraw from Spring 2004 pending review of Spring 2005 grades (Incompletes) and Summer 2005 grade.
5. A motion to approve the request from ECE to reset the basis in ECE 8010 RCC retroactively was made. The motion was seconded, and approved. Unanimous.
6. Reports from Petitions Subcommittee.
Summary of Screening Committee Recommendations of July 26, 2005 for July 28 Full Committee
Request: Approve Deny
Use 9000 thesis hours for 7000 thesis hours 2
Waive 6-year rule 4
Return immediately after withdrawal 1
Late withdrawal from course 5 1
Late grade changes 1
Late withdrawal from school 2
Change academic standing 1
Change # of credit hours 2
Use transfer credit while enrolled 2
Use > 3 (6) hrs. of P/F for MS 1
Graduate without a GPA 1
Change grade basis of course 1
Allow graduation with unspecified MS 1
Waive 7-year rule 2
TOTALS: 25 2
A motion was made to approve recommendations of screening subcommittee. The motion was seconded and approved. Unanimous.
7. The undergraduate research option as it relates to the 5-year BS MS PhD programs was discussed briefly. Further discussion will occur at the next meeting.
8/29/2005 8:26 AM