Academic Services Committee
March 10, 2005
Members Present: Carol Colatrella (LCC) , Maureen Kilroy (GS&R), Craig Shaw (SGA), Jim Sowell (PHYS).
Members Absent: Joseph Hoey (OARS), Jeffrey Donnell (ME), Tom Horton (GTRI), Myrtle Turner (GTRI), Jane Weyant (CoE).
Visitors: Bob Lang, Director of the Georgia Tech Homeland Security Department
1. The meeting came to order at 1:10 p.m. on March 10, 2005 in room N110 in Howey Physics
2. Director Bob Lang presented an overview of the current initiatives of the Georgia Tech office of Homeland Security. The office is responsible for coordinating with all local and state emergency departments. They have required all buildings to create Red Books. These Red Books are specialized information packets that contain class roles, evacuation plans, floor plans, utility plans, and other pertinent information to emergency response agencies. These Red Books all follow a standardized criteria.
3. The office of Homeland Security is also investigating new ways to design procedures for emergency response units. They are currently investigating secure methods of communication, better maps, an early warning system, and the “Groove” voice over IP system.
4. Bob Lang and Frank Stanley are currently working on a state grant to have an early warning system that consist of a siren and speakers for every building to be purchased and installed.
5. The office of Homeland Security is open to any suggestions or concerns from the Georgia Tech community. Those responses can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and the office of Homeland Security (and the campus color alert level) can be found at http://www.police.gatech.edu/homeland/.
6. The next meeting of the Academic Services Committee will take place at 1:00 p.m. on April 07, 2005 in Howey Physics N110. The guest speaker will be Dr. David Frost.
7. The meeting was adjourned at 2:05 p.m.