Alteration of transcription by non-coding elements in the human genome
Conley, Andrew Berton
MetadataShow full item record
The human genome contains ~1.5% coding sequence, with the remaining 98.5% being non-coding. The functional potential of the majority of this non-coding sequence remains unknown. Much of this non-coding sequence is derived from transposable element (TE) sequences. These TE sequences contain their own regulatory information, e.g. promoter and transcription factor binding sites. Given the large number of these sequences, over 4 million in the human genome, it would be expected that the regulatory information that they contain would affect the expression of nearby genes. This dissertation describes research that characterizes that alternation of and contribution to the human transcriptome by non-coding elements, including TE sequences.